The Adoption Process
- This is just an overview of the actual adoption process. Family Options guides you through each step.
- Make an appointment for a group information meeting or for an individual adoption consultation. Our group sessions are free, however we do charge a fee for individual consultations.
- After your application is processed, you will be sent the Home Study Questionnaire. (CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD) Complete the questionnaire and return it to Family Options along with all requested documentation. Upon receipt of your completed questionnaire, Family Options will contact you to arrange for your home study interviews, including a home visit along with an educational component.
- You will be notified by Family Options once your home study has been approved. If you’re proceeding with a placement through Family Options, we will arrange a portfolio consultation appointment.
- You’ll be given guidelines for developing a portfolio and advice on networking and advertising.
- If you are pursuing an international placement, independent placement, or working with another agency, we will send a copy of your home study to the designated agency or attorney.
- Family Options offers pre adoption groups. These sessions address the unique needs and issues of the adoptive family. We also provide practical instruction on topics such as infant care and the opportunity to meet other waiting adoptive parents.
- After placement, supervision of the adoptive family is required for a minimum of six months. This consists of bi-monthly meetings in your home. During this supervisory period, you should contact an attorney to arrange adoption finalization.
- If you have questions or concerns at any time during the adoption process, Family Options is here to help.